Corn starch. Fly ash. Animal feed. Flour. Sugar. Sand. That list sounds like the answer to a question on Jeopardy! from the category, “Things That Have Absolutely Nothing In Common.” But, in fact, these four things do have something very important in common: at any given time, millions of gallons, or pounds, of these materials are crisscrossing the nation’s roads, on the way to their final destination via a network of cargo trucks.
While getting these materials to the right place at the right time is critical, that is not the only thing that makes their transport and handling challenging or complicated. They all have different traits, all of which determine how they must be transported and handled. In other words, loading these materials onto a transport to begin their journey – and unloading them when they get to their final destination – must be accomplished in a way that is expedient and in tune with their specific and unique handling characteristics.
Realizing the impossibility of creating a one-size-fits-all solution for the loading and unloading of such diverse dry bulk or liquid materials, Civacon offers a full-range portfolio of cargo-truck components that can satisfy the needs of what it terms “General Industrial” product-handling applications:
- Pressure Manholes: These 20-inch pressure manholes are available in pressure ratings of 12, 18 and 25 psi. All three models feature a general-purpose access door with the 12- and 18-psi models suitable for non-code applications, while the 25-psi model is rated for use with more demanding materials, such as hot oil.
- Non-Pressure Manholes: These manholes are available in four sizes: 16, 20, 24 and 30 inches. Per the needs of the operator, they are constructed of either carbon steel or stainless steel. All models are rated for storage use in industrial, agricultural and silo applications. A variety of entry and locking options offer added operational versatility for the user.
- Non-Pressure Fill Covers and Access Ports: These components are available in 6-, 8-, 10- and 12-inch sizes with five different hatch styles. They are ideal for use on cargo tanks, conveying systems and storage silos where a fill opening, inspection cover and sampling port are required.
- Pressure-Relieving Fill Covers: These 10-inch fill covers feature a spring-loaded cap that creates a positive seal under normal operation and eliminates product “flutter” during an emergency pressure release. Their design also allows additional venting capacity of up to 191,258 cubic feet per hour (ft3/hr) at 5 psi.
- Pressure Vacuum Tank-Hatch Covers: Available in 8-, 20- and 24-inch sizes, these components are designed with a full-opening lid that makes them the ideal choice for use on dry bulk transport and storage tanks, silos and grain elevators. They are also compatible for use on a wide range of products, from cement to foodstuffs.
- Weld Rings: Available in sizes ranging from 6 to 32 inches, with aluminum or 304 and 316 stainless-steel construction, weld rings are used in conjunction with pressure and non-pressure manholes, as well as non-pressure fill covers and access ports.
For more information on Civacon and its complete portfolio of cargo-truck loading/unloading equipment and systems, please visit civacon.com.