Maybe with the exception of dump trucks and cement mixers, there is no more ubiquitous piece of heavy-duty hauling equipment on U.S. roads than the trailers that deliver motor fuels to gas stations and tank trucks that carry fuels and lubricants to off-road construction sites and farms. These vehicles are an indispensable link in the chain that keeps Americans on the go and any disruption in their ability to deliver their fuel in a safe, timely and reliable fashion will put a kink in that chain.
Therefore, it is imperative that these vehicles – all of which are transporting hazardous materials that can be harmful or dangerous if mishandled, including as the result of an on-road accident – be outfitted with equipment and components that will perform when needed. This will help ensure the safety of the driver, the fueling site and its inhabitants, surrounding communities and the environment.
However, with the many different truck models and styles that are traversing the nation’s roads, it is impossible to create an all-in-one equipment package for the loading and unloading of diverse petroleum-based products. Therefore, Civacon offers a complete portfolio of components, equipment and systems for tank trucks and trailers, all of which are dedicated to the safe transport of petroleum products:
- CivaCommand™ Smart Tank System: Combines air controls, overfill prevention, ground verification, crossover prevention, product-retention prevention, security and historical usage data in a single system that is controlled through a durable touchscreen that interfaces wirelessly with all tank-truck/trailer components. This gives the driver complete control of all functions during the loading/unloading process.
- Manholes: Available in both pressure and non-pressure models, these components are designed to meet the needs of the individual application. To that end, they are constructed of either aluminum, carbon steel or stainless steel with a variety of entry and locking options that offer added operational versatility for the user.
- Vapor Vents: Available in both standard and high flow-rate designs so they can meet the unique needs of the loading/unloading application. Multiple mounting options are also available, while innovative sealing systems help deliver longer maintenance-free performance.
- Overfill Sensors: Help prevent the occurrence of overfills during the loading of hazardous materials into tank trucks and trailers. Their operation keeps them in constant communication with the vehicle’s onboard monitor or loading-rack controller, which helps stop overfill events before they can occur.
- Internal Valves: Also known as emergency, foot and belly valves, they have been engineered with a shear groove that allows the piping to break away cleanly in the event of a collision. The valve seat and poppet remain intact so that only the liquid in the piping is lost.
- API Sockets: Feature interfaces that have been designed to international standards for compatibility, with a color-coded, injection-molded composite nose and highly wear resistant, replaceable J-slot inserts, they offer exceptional operational life. Outfitted with the Saf-T-Ground system that only allows operation after ground verification has been achieved.
- Bottom-Loading Adaptors: Precisely engineered to mate with all standard loading-rack couplers. This enables them to provide the most reliable, secure and safe loading and unloading of petroleum products into or from all varieties of tank trucks and trailers.
- Gravity Couplers: Used to connect API adaptors to hose connections. One-handed operation frees the operator’s second hand for maneuvering hoses. Built with a 15-degree downward angle for better drainage, faster unloading times and improved safety.
- Dust Caps: Seal and hold pressure while maintaining shape even if they are dropped or mishandled. Constructed of a lightweight, corrosion-resistant material that features a proprietary coating that makes them extremely durable.
- Butterfly Valves: The TTMA hybrid model combines the durability of a traditional resilient-seal butterfly valve with the sleek, slim-line design of a common wet/dry valve. The TTMA bolt pattern allows the valve to seamlessly replace any traditional valve with no need for piping or configuration changes. Also available with a variety of seal, disc and handle configurations.
- Manifold Systems: The CivaFlo™ system has been designed to improve the speed and performance of metered tank-truck and trailer product-delivery operations. Available in single and dual pump configurations for use on both chassis-mounted tank trucks and manifolded trailers. Optional ground-level flush fittings allow secure product change with no need for the driver to climb to the top of the trailer.
- CivaControl™ Air Controls: Feature a modular design that reduces weight and system complexity, but still is robust enough to handle heavy-duty petroleum-product loading/unloading activities, even in the coldest conditions. The positive air reset/shutdown feature ensures that no valve remains open after the master valve is shut down, which increases safety for the operator.
- Vapor-Recovery Adaptors: Engineered to offer the highest flow with the lowest backpressure in a vapor-recovery connection. When outfitted with a dust cap, environmental contaminants will be prevented from entering the vapor-recovery system. Also available with an optional bubble sight glass that indicates if any condensed vapor has collected in side the adaptor or vapor-recovery header.
For more information on Civacon and its complete portfolio of tank truck and trailer loading and unloading equipment and systems, please visit civacon.com.