For 125 years, OPW has been the global leader in fluid handling solutions offering the world's broadest selection of commercial and retail fueling products and systems, loading systems, cargo tank truck and rail tank car equipment, dispensing and electronic POS and back office systems, electronic gauges, automated fuel terminals and controls and vehicle wash systems. OPW products enable fluid handling and petroleum marketers to provide for the safest, most efficient, competitive and environmentally-sustainable fluid handling operations possible.
OPW was founded in 1892 as the Ohio Pattern Works & Foundry Company. By 1930 the company had already built a reputation as a leading supplier of nozzles, valves, fittings and couplings to the petroleum industry. In 1948, the company changed its name to OPW Corporation before becoming part of Dover Corporation in 1961. 1892
Victor E. Tresise and Joseph E. Hausfeld found the Ohio Pattern Works, investing $390 to finance the company. It was the first shop in Cincinnati to make both wood and metal patterns for everything from grave markers to oil valves. 1904
The company begins focusing its efforts in the petroleum industry; builds its first office on Spring Grove Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio. 1907
The company starts its brass foundry. 1916
The company is incorporated as The Ohio Pattern Works and Foundry. 1929
The company completes construction on its building on Colerain Avenue in Cincinnati for offices, machinery and assembly work. 1948
G.L. Ohrstrom & Associates buys the company, and changes the name to OPW Corporation. 1961
Dover Corporation purchases OPW. 1965
OPW Dover (Europa) N.V. is founded to distribute OPW products in Europe. 1976
OPW relocates its manufacturing and office complex to a new 250,000 sq. ft. facility on Princeton-Glendale Road in northern Cincinnati, Ohio. 1984
OPW begins joint venture with Sao Paulo, Brazil-based Eleven LTDA to manufacture nozzles, spill containers, check valves and overfill prevention valves for South America markets. 1988
OPW acquires POMECO, complementing its existing line of manholes, swivels and hose retractors. 1990
OPW is awarded the "1st ever" Petroleum Equipment Institute's Manufacturer of the Year Award and goes on to win 6 times as the #1 Best Manufacturer, until award is discontinued by PEI in 2002. 1990
Originally founded in 1921, and a distributor and manufacturer of OPW nozzles since 1960, Dover Corporation (Canada) Limited / Industrial Division, based in Strathroy, Ontario, Canada, is acquired by OPW. 1991
OPW segments the company into three distinct and independent businesses: OPW Fueling Components, OPW Engineered Systems and CIVACON. 1991
OPW is awarded the Manufacturer of the Year Award for the second time. 1992
OPW is awarded the Manufacturer of the Year Award for the third time in as many years. 1992
OPW founds OPW Fueling Components Europe B.V. to manufacture and sell service station equipment in Europe, the Near East, and Africa. 1993
OPW adds Compressed Natural Gas dispensing product line by combining its manufacturing and marketing with Canada-based Sherex Industries; OPW goes on to acquire the nozzle and receptacle business from Sherex. 1993
OPW becomes ISO certified. 1995
OPW acquires Hasstech, Inc., a manufacturer of Stage II vapor recovery systems. 1996
OPW is awarded the PEI Manufacturer of the Year Award for a fourth time. 1996
OPW partners with specialty-chemicals and plastics innovator Arkema to use its Kynar®
PVDF technology to develop the retail-fueling industry’s first flexible fuel-pipe solution, which was branded PISCES. 1997
OPW is awarded the PEI Manufacturer of the Year Award for the fifth time. 1998
OPW is awarded the Ohio Governor’s Excellence in Exporting Award. 1998
Petro Vend, a Chicago-based Dover company and manufacturer of fuel control systems, becomes part of OPW. 1999
OPW acquires Richards Industries, a Tennessee-based manufacturer of dispensing equipment. 2000
OPW is awarded PEI’s Manufacturer of the Year Award for the sixth time. 2001
OPW acquires all outstanding interest in Brazil joint venture Eleven LTDA, renaming the company - OPW Brazil. 2002
OPW acquires North Carolina-based EMCO Electronics, a manufacturer of tank gauge and fuel control systems. 2002
OPW opens a manufacturing facility in the Czech Republic. 2003
OPW acquires Brevetti-Nettuno, an Italy-based manufacturer of LPG fueling equipment. 2003
OPW opens a manufacturing facility in Suzhou, China. 2006
OPW acquires the assets of Environ Holdings and creates new division: OPW Fueling Containment Systems, located in Smithfield, North Carolina. 2007
OPW relocates its POMECO manufacturing plant from California to North Carolina. 2008
OPW ships 130 Vaporsaver 1 units to China for use by the country’s oil companies in an effort to improve air quality prior to the Beijing Summer Olympics. 2010
OPW opens new manufacturing facility in Chennai, India. 2010
OPW’s Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) system becomes the industry’s first Phase I system to be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). 2011
OPW Fuel Management Systems, originally founded in Chicago, IL, in 1961, as Petro Vend, celebrates 50 years in the fuel-controls industry. 2012
OPW Fueling Containment Systems celebrates the 15th anniversary of its underground-piping business. 2013
OPW Fueling Components and sister company OPW Fluid Transfer Group combine leadership structures to form the world’s largest business group focused on the distribution and transportation of critical fluids and fuels. 2013
OPW acquires United Kingdom-based Fibrelite, a leader in composite access covers and containment systems for retail-fueling sites, and Kungsors Plast AB (KPS), a manufacturer of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fusion piping systems for retail-fueling sites. 2013
OPW acquires Lianyungang Jump Petroleum Chemical Machine Co. Ltd (Jump), a leading provider of top loading and LNG onshore loading equipment in China. The company becomes part of OPW’s Chemical & Industrial business unit.
OPW acquires Smithfield, NSW, Australia-based Liquip International, a leading designer and manufacturer of bulk liquid handling and storage solutions in the petroleum, aviation, and chemical markets.
Dover acquires Paris, France-based Tokheim, a leading manufacturer of fuel dispensers, retail automation systems and payment solutions, and integrates the company into OPW. With this new addition, OPW is the only equipment manufacturer capable of offering an end-to-end fuel site solution.
OPW celebrates the 20th anniversary of its partnership with Arkema, which has produced the revolutionary PISCES and FlexWorks flexible fuel-pipe solutions.
Dover Corporation completes the acquisition of Wayne Fueling Systems Ltd. and announces that it will join Tokheim, ProGauge, Fairbanks and OPW Fuel Management Systems in a new business unit named Dover Fueling Solutions. The new entity provides advanced fuel-dispensing equipment, payment systems, automatic tank gauging and wetstock-management solutions.